Dangerous Assumptions...

I am a self-proclaimed techno slut. If its out there, if its new, if it has anything to do with technology – I HAVE to have it. There is nothing I won’t do to download the latest “must have” ipad apps, or the newest blackberry ringtones, or the upgraded versions of whatsapp, ubersocial for twitter, twitter itself, facebook, pinterest or blogging information. And if I can’t figure it out, I would rather die trying than ask for help or read the instructions. And believe me, I DO figure it out!! (I’m obsessive that way)
I feel the same way about books – I HAVE to read the latest trend setting books (and if they come in a trilogy, I am even MORE addicted!). The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Hunger Games, Twilight (yes – I HAD to see what all the hype was about, and I loved the books!), and now Fifty Shades of Grey (all three books).   I can’t say I am a huge fan of the philosophies and lifestyle choices of Mr Grey, but I will plough my way through all three novels. Just in case I am missing something.
So what does my techno addiction, and my book addiction have in common (other than proving once again, that I have an obsessive compulsive, addictive personality?!)? Well, during a conversation with some friends earlier this week, my combined addictions led me to the conclusion that I have an even more dangerous side to my personality. I Make Assumptions. I assume everyone has the same basic knowledge and interests as I have. Because I know it, because I have read it, because I have used it, I automatically assume everyone in my social circle has too.
So why is this dangerous? While chatting to these friends this week, I happened to mention (*blush*) that I am going to have a column published in Cosmopolitan in August (Full photo shoot included!). When asked about my subject matter I mentioned the basis being on the obvious theme of control in the book Fifty Shades. Friend Number One jumps in and we natter about the book for a bit, while Friend Number Two stands there silently. She pipes up with the question on what the book was about. S&M, I say. Ohhhh! I love that!! She announces. Loudly. It took at least five minutes for Friend Number One and I to realise that what we knew S&M to stand for was very clearly (breaths held for a while!!), not what she took it to mean! On explaining it, and amidst the immediate back tracking and furious blushing, I realised that my predilection to assume everyone is on the same page as me,  could have resulted in dangerous summations being made about Friend Number Two (who incidentally, is the one friend we all rely on to ensure we all go to Heaven one day! She has a direct line to the top!!). 
Taking a step backwards, I have realised that before I paint everyone with the same brush, I need to remember that not everyone understands WTF or WTH, or ROTFLMAO, or even cares what it means! Not everyone compulsively reads the next big thing, or understands the pull of social media and technology. Not everyone automatically understands HTTP://, or plans on ever finding out about embedding buttons on a blog. I need to remember that one girls whips and chains S&M, is another girls Sex and Marriage!! And that’s OK.  I’m Just Saying…